old-style 3-D formats

3D Master
Administrator
1.) Can movies produced in old-style 3-D formats (anaglyph for colored lens glasses) be converted to modern 3-D TV formats (viewing with active shutter glasses)? 2.) Was the 3-D technique of separate colors for different frames in the old days done in post production or in-camera? 3.) If the conversion to modern 3-D techniques can be done, would it fundamentally improve the experience for viewers of those movies? For example, I’d love to see Hitchcock’s “Dial M For Murder” (1954), “Creature from the Black Lagoon” (1954), “Bwana Devil” (1952), “Kiss Me Kate” (1953) and “House of Wax” (1953) available for modern 3-D TV. PS

Re: old-style 3-D formats

3D Master
Administrator
All movies are produced in "modern 3D"; The anaglyph systems is only used for the display. The original movies were produces as Left and Right movies (like we do today) and only due to the delivery problem were downgraded to anaglyph.

You will be surprised to know that most movies showed in the 50s were using polarization and not anaglyph :)
Yes the same polarization that is widely used even today in USA Cinemas (most of the international 3D cinemas do not use it). The Technicolor 3D system is identical to the same system from the 50s. the RealD / masterimage systems is digital and not analog, but suffer from the same silver screen / ghosting problems.

Have no doubt, all the classics from the 50s will be available for modern 3DTV, the studios are just waiting for the right timing (more 3DTVs in the market)

Re: old-style 3-D formats

patseitz
Thanks for the clarification.

But following up on my original questions, do you think the films I mentioned ("Dial M for Murder," "House of Wax," etc.) could perhaps look better on 3D Blu-ray Disc and active-shutter glasses than they did in the theater?

Re: old-style 3-D formats

Brian Ming
I recently saw Dial M for Murder in a cinema in 3d - using polarised glasses as per modern digital cinema and it was excellent. Properly projected films of the 50's are excellent and can stand on their own. I have seen films such as House of Wax in the shutterglass Razor system which is very similar to the modern 3d home version - except for the resolution and refresh rate and rate of flicker -but despite that the 3d effect, color etc are very good - take away the limitation of this system and I would expect excellent results.