X103 and pre-2010 Mits DLPs

Brett
I am interested in picking up a few pairs of X103 glasses to use with my 2009 Mitsubishi DLP but have a question I was hoping you could address.

All pre-2010 Mitsubishi DLP’s have DLP-Link light flashes enabled in 3D mode and there is no option to turn this off (unlike the 2010 models).   When using the Mitsubishi (Samsung) brand glasses and their emitter this results in poor contrast and a cyan tint to blacks as compared to 2D mode. The 3D picture quality is quite poor due to this when viewing dark content with the Mits glasses.   The DLP-Link glasses that I have tried seem to block out this light flash and mostly eliminate the cyan tint / crushed blacks. I assume this is because the lenses are programmed to close during the flash.  Unfortunately Mitsubishi included glasses in their 3D Starter Kit that are poorly suited to all of their pre-2010 DLPs.  There are a couple of reasons that I have not just gone with DLP-Link glasses that I won't get into in this post but my question is:

Will the X103 glasses have any functionality that enables them to close both lenses to block out the DLP-Link flashes?  If not could it ever be programmed in through an update?  There's a lot of us older Mitsubishi DLP owners out there looking for a solution.  Thanks.

Re: X103 and pre-2010 Mits DLPs

3D Master
Administrator
Good question!

1. Yes, the Mitsubishi glasses are poor in performance. Very poor.
2. You cannot notice the white flash.(although you think you can) DLP-link glasses cant hide it and the reason is only the glasses.
3. XpanD universal glasses will do the work for you.

by the way, non of the new 3DTVs can compete with the DLPTV in 3D quality. Yes, the resolution is better, but DLP is much faster. The best 3DTV in the market is by far Mitsubishi Laser-view. Its said that their glasses are so bad.

Re: X103 and pre-2010 Mits DLPs

Brett
I definitely agree with you on #1.  However in response point #2 of your post:

When a pre-2010 Mitsubishi DLP is changed from 2d mode to 3d mode the contrast considerably worsens and black levels become cyan, this is visible without the glasses so there is something other than just the glasses. Something changes between 2d mode and 3d mode.  I had always heard as you have stated that the DLP-link flashes are not visible.  However, I questioned Mitsubishi on this and they have stated that it is the DLP-link flashes that cause this change.  This 2d to 3d shift is not present on the 2010 models for some reason.  Now it is entirely possible and I would not be surprised if Mitsubishi is clueless and it is not the DLP-Link flashes.  Either way I look forward to testing out the X103 glasses.  What is their expected release date in US retail stores?

Administrator
Your proof is that the 2010 models also include DLP-Link...

Re: X103 and pre-2010 Mits DLPs

Brett
Yes but DLP-Link is turned on separately from 3D mode in the 2010 models.  There is a new menu function where you select "Emitter"or "DLP-Link" that is separate from 3D mode "On" or "OFF".  Unlike my DLP, these sets can have 3D mode ON but DLP-Link OFF.  But anyway my frustration is with Mitsubishi and I appreciate your comments.

What is the current estimated date that I will be able to purchase the X103 glasses in a US retail store?  What about the X104?

Thanks.

I will need to check it out. Was not aware of this option.
X103 should be available in 3 weeks and X104 one quarter later.

Re: X103 and pre-2010 Mits DLPs

Brett
Please do let me know if you find anything out.  I have contacted Mitsubishi through email and phone and they swear it is DLP-Link that causes this problem, but I have no clue at this point.  Over on avsforum there is a thread called "What's wrong with 3D mode on my Mitsubishi DLP?" that has over 17,000 views.  These DLP's are probably a small segment of your target customer base but I think it would be worth checking out.  Thanks again.