Passive 3DTV

rockinrhett
When do you believe Passive 3DTV will replace Active based 3DTV..... if ever!

Re: Passive 3DTV

3D Master
Administrator
I Believe that autosteroscopic (No glasses) TV will replace active 3D in 7-10 years.
During this time we will see many passive TVs in the market, mainly for professional (shows, production) usage.

Passive 3D TVs will always have lower resolution and lower 2D performance (sue to the polarizer on the screen) - I will never buy one for my home as with all the love for 3D, we will keep on watching 2D most of the time and destroying it for passive glasses doesn't make any scene.

Re: Passive 3DTV

Angstroms
       What  you should be asking is will their be replacement technology for Active Shutter Glasses,  so you can uses passive glasses.   That is happing..   First it be in smaller displays.  30 Inch or smaller..

       So you get to where Circular Polarized Passive glasses in your favorite frames, or even the just save your glasses from the theater, and view a full frame HD Image that still uses time-sequential multiplexing like active shutter glasses,  but the image will be brighter.  So all the marketing benefits Full HD brings you at 10 feet from the display.

     Auto-stereo other then Single User 2-View with head-tracking in small displays,  is ways away since you need greater pixel density to accommodate number view you need to generate for multiple users,

     Passive XPOL has one advantage you see both Left and Right eye at the same time. What interesting is at SID they looking to supporting 120 Hz or faster display to support Full HD by doing Alternating Frame Pattern L on top, Right on the Bottom,  then Right on top then left on the bottom.  So again use the Time-Sequential 120 Hz trick to solve the problem of lost resolution.

Re: Passive 3DTV

chaumi
Worth resurrecting this now the LG Cinema passive 3D TV is released.

Anyone have any views on how good they are?

Reviews I've read suggest they give good quality 3D...but you can easily notice the quality difference when you watch a high end active set and a passive set side by side, with the active set winning out.
www.3dtvguide.org