Panasonic TC-P50V10 with PS3 (updated firmware supporting 3D)

Panasonic TC-P50V10 with PS3 (updated firmware supporting 3D)

Aleks
I was wondering whether there is a ready-made/available accessory that will let me enjoy Bluray 3D content from PS3 on my "old-fashioned" Panasonic Plasma TC-P50V10 (min 96Hz 1080p according to the specs, with 600Hz sub-field drive)?

If you care to check the specs:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/All-VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-P50V10_11002_7000000000000005702

http://www.thebestplasmatv.com/reviews/panasonic-tc-p50v10-review/

Panasonic does not "flag" my TV as supporting 3D, but that should still allow watching 3D in, if nothing else, in 1080i mode (separate fields for separate eyes). I am hoping that eventually Panasonic will release a firmware update (for the TV) that will support newer standards and be able to output 3D Bluray content as 2x2x24 Hz (2x48 Hz). Meanwhile my problem remains - which glasses and what to get to have them synchronized to the TV?

Thanks!

Re: Panasonic TC-P50V10 with PS3 (updated firmware supporting 3D)

3D Master
Administrator
Sadly no.
600hz is very good for marketing , but this TV is not 3D ready adn not fast enough in order to show 3D.

Re: Panasonic TC-P50V10 with PS3 (updated firmware supporting 3D)

Aleks
I would say 96Hz refresh (forget about subfield drive, don't focus on that) is quite sufficient. That allows each  24p frame to be shown four times. So, don't call it "slow" by any measure. It is not 120Hz, but remember that I am looking for only what is originally shot in 24p. In that respect 120Hz would actually be worse (for 24p material, 120Hz is good for what is originally 30p).

 For example, it could do 1080i24 (or 1080i30) such that one field is used for one eye and another field for another eye ... twice (given firmware update). Without the firmware update, correct, I would have to settle for normal interlaced operation which would result in visible flicker (2x30Hz or 2x24Hz) but it would still work. The biggest question I have is that of the synchronization. I am otherwise *not* worried about anything else, as I could make a standard old-fashioned black-and-white CRT TV show 3D ... ;)

Re: Panasonic TC-P50V10 with PS3 (updated firmware supporting 3D)

3D Master
Administrator
The quality will be very bad.
The old Plasma screens (Samsung even had a 120fps one) are extremely slow when switching between L & R.
There is very big difference when you work at 96hz in 2D as the frames are very similar. this is not good enough in 3D with these set.

Re: Panasonic TC-P50V10 with PS3 (updated firmware supporting 3D)

Aleks
You may be confusing LCD and Plasma. Plasmas don't have the same retention problem that LCDs do... And this is not an 'old' plasma screen - won awards in 2009. Essentially this is as new as it gets before 3D-specific ones.

Re: Panasonic TC-P50V10 with PS3 (updated firmware supporting 3D)

3D Master
Administrator
I'm not...LCD is much worst.